Thursday, January 28, 2010

Week 1 Lab

Finally I have access to the course software, and am able to start using ArcMap! I have quite some catching up to do.


Module 1: Exploring a GIS Map


Excercise: Planning a trip to San Diego





I found the ESRI Virtual Campus course instructions simple and easy to follow and had no problems with this first assignment. It is good to start getting a feel for how GIS works.



Module 1: Using GIS to Solve Problems


Excercise: Find potential sites for a Youth Center




I had a few more problems here, but that was only because I lost the remote desktop connection half way through the excercise. Luckily I had saved the file and only had to repeat a few steps. Lesson learned! Don't forget to SAVE!

I played around a bit with the map layout. I change the text size of the labels and legends, but I did not find this very intuitive. I had to ask for help.

Looking forward to finding out more about what ArcMap can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment